ClubIntel, a global leader in conducting market research related to the health/fitness industry, has announced that it will release next week their industry study entitled What Members Say Matters – A National Fitness Industry Study of What Members Say is Needed if Health/Fitness Facilities Want Them Back.
The study explored the behaviors and experiences of health/fitness facility members pre-COVID-19 closures and during COVID-19 closures, a profile of the best predictors of those who will return, and a detailed list of the most influential requirements facilities should provide to ensure members feel physically and emotionally safe to re-enter their gyms.
The study was conducted among 2,000 health/fitness facility members and users from 20 major U.S. MSA’s over a one-week period from May 11, 2020 to May 18, 2020 with research panel partner Dynata. The study was supported by Platinum sponsors Les Mills International and Life Fitness, along with general sponsor FitSpace Boutique Studios.
Some of the study’s key findings include:
- 65% of U.S. health/fitness members report they are very likely or fairly likely to return. Another 19% are undecided.
- Re-entry into the fitness facilities will be gradual with 34% of members planning to return during the first week, while 34% indicate they will return between one week and one month after their facility reopens.
- Men are more likely than women to return once their facility reopens. Men are also more likely than women to return the first week their health/fitness facility reopens.
- Millennials and Gen Z are both more hesitant to return than Gen X or Boomers. Only 61% of Millennials report they are very likely or fairly likely to return compared to 74% of Boomers.
- Members place high importance on over a dozen key variables related to the influence each has on their decision to return, some of which may surprise operators.
When ready, the complimentary report will be available on ClubIntel’s website www.club-intel.com. The report will also be available through our Platinum sponsor Partners Les Mills International and Life Fitness.
ClubIntel is a brand insight, market research and strategic consulting firm focused on serving the health/fitness and private club industries. ClubIntel is an industry leader in respect to relevant research to support the needs of the health/fitness facility industry. ClubIntel’s research efforts include its annual International Fitness Industry Trend Study – What’s All the Rage, several industry-based research collaborations with IHRSA (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019 Health Club Consumer Reports and 2016 State of the Mexican Health and Fitness Industry Report); the 2015, 2016 and 2017 Financial and Operational Benchmarking Reports for the Association of Fitness Studios (AFS); and the 2016 and 2017 State of the Industry Reports for the Club Spa and Fitness Association.