IHRSA, the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association, has launched the Active & Safe Commitment for the global fitness industry to demonstrate that health and fitness clubs are operating with best industry practices and mitigation risks.
As a vital resource for members to improve physical and mental well-being, it is essential for clubs worldwide to implement risk mitigation measures and safety guidelines. The Active & Safe Commitment acts as an extra layer of assurance to lawmakers and public health officials that clubs are doing all they can to provide the safest possible environment for members, staff, and the community.
The Active & Safe Commitment, developed by fitness industry experts in conformity with the most prominent and prevalent public health guidance on COVID-19, serves three primary purposes:
- To demonstrate the industry’s united commitment to safety for members, guests, and staff;
- To provide health club members and guests with well-founded peace of mind during club visits; and
- To reassure policymakers and public health officials that health clubs should not be shut down during the COVID-19 pandemic, but rather should be relied upon as safe environments for exercise that can serve as responsible, credible, and effective partners for reducing the pandemic’s catastrophic toll on physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
“The pandemic has upended how health and fitness clubs operate and magnified the necessity to provide a clean and safe space for members,” said Brent Darden, interim president and CEO of IHRSA. “The Active & Safe Commitment is an opportunity for clubs around the world to verify publicly the immense value they place on the health and wellness of not only their members and staff but all those who enter the facility.”
Health clubs that sign the Commitment pledge to adhere to the following industry best practices:
- Physical distancing/mitigation measures;
- Employee/member safety protocols;
- Cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting; and
- Contact tracing.
The Active & Safe Commitment is a “no-brainer for any club,” said Luke Carlson, CEO and founder of Discover Strength. He added, “The Active & Safe Commitment is one way to shout to your members and community how safe your club is and how much their safety means to you.”
Chuck Runyon, co-founder and CEO of Self Esteem Brands, also endorses IHRSA’s Active & Safe Commitment. “It is the latest measure to send a clear message to our members, employees, and government leaders that gyms, clubs, and studios are safe and ready to help people fight COVID-19 risk factors—diabetes, depression, obesity, hypertension, heart disease, and more—with exercise,” he said.
Upon making the Active & Safe Commitment, clubs will receive:
- a certificate,
- multiple versions of the Active & Safe Commitment logo,
- a press release email template to notify members, and
- access to IHRSA resources.
Although the Active & Safe Commitment initial launch is exclusively available to IHRSA members, non-IHRSA members will soon be able to make the Commitment for a small fee. For any questions relating to the Active & Safe Commitment, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA) is a global community of health and fitness professionals committed to building their businesses and improving their communities’ health and well-being. The mission of IHRSA is to grow, protect, and promote the health and fitness industry, and to provide its members with the benefits that will help them be more successful. IHRSA and its members (health clubs and fitness facilities, gyms, spas, sports clubs, and industry suppliers) are dedicated to make the world healthier through regular exercise. For more information visit www.ihrsa.org.