It’s Giving Tuesday, a Global Day of Giving Back, where people all around the world come together to celebrate philanthropy, and we are encouraged to make a positive impact on the lives of others.
Which is something the Canadian fitness industry does every day!
Today, as we prepare to wrap up the year and look ahead to 2024, Fitness Industry Council of Canada wants to inspire fitness owners to plan their marketing efforts to combine philanthropy and fitness – which, in many respects, is a beautiful partnership. Both contribute to personal growth and well-being, the act of giving back has proven health benefits, and we are able to inspire our members to improve the world around us.
There are many ways you can celebrate Giving Tuesday today and plan for the year ahead to be filled with moments of giving back:
1. Celebrate your employees today: This will cost you little (but a gift card is never out of style, especially around the holidays!). As we heard during our October webinar Hire and Retain “A” Employees, employers need to focus on creating businesses that not only thrive, but have strong retention policies. Appreciation goes a long way – express gratitude for your staff.
2. Create collaborations and partnerships with like-minded businesses. There is strength in numbers, and you could have more of an impact by creating charity events with others in 2024. Think about fitness events that involve giveaways from local cafes or restaurants that share your vision of health and wellness, create opportunities for active breaks of exercise ‘snacks’ to bring in to non-profit organizations who might love the opportunity to exercise with a member of your fitness team.
3. Seek out volunteer opportunities for your members: We are so often focused on the day-to-day operations of our businesses, that we often forget our gyms are community hubs too! And what better way to bring your members together than with a volunteer opportunity – find out if the local food bank needs help putting together care packages, host a toy drive for a shelter, and there is nothing wrong with a good-old-fashioned oversized box by the front door for the next month to collect canned goods, toys, and toiletry products for those in need.
Hint: Ask your local food bank or shelter for a list of items that they need the most, and then engage your members by sending out a newsletter with the items! You will be amazed how that small bit of extra leg work will yield even more donations.
4. Create quarterly fundraisers or charity events: Fitness lovers are always up for a fitness challenge or another reason to sweat together! Plan your 2024 in advance – think about a Mother’s Day Mom and Daughter Fundraiser, or National Health and Fitness Day (first weekend of June) events that you will map into your strategic plans!
5. Donate fitness equipment: As you upgrade your fitness equipment consider donating gently used items to organizations that need fitness resources too! Even free weights, yoga mats and running shoes could have an impact. While you’re making those contacts, consider whether you could offer fitness passes to your studio, or run a fitness event. The more we give, the more we get back.
Giving Tuesday presents an excellent opportunity to harness the power of fitness for the greater good. Spread kindness today!
Fitness Industry Council of Canada (FIC) is the not-for profit trade association that represents the voice of fitness facility operators across Canada. Representing more than 6,000 facilities with more than six-million members nationwide, FIC pursues a legislative agenda in the hope of bettering the fitness industry for both consumers and operators. FIC aims to work with both industry and government to improve the health and physical activity levels of Canadians.