Nick Corneil is the founder and CEO of Trainer Plus and a board member with the Fitness Industry Council of Canada (FICC). In this video and podcast, Corneil speaks with Dr. Greg Wells, a respiratory wellness scientist at the Hospital for Sick Children, CEO and founder of Wells Performance and former Director of Sports and Science for the Canadian Sport Centre.
The podcast focuses on the intersection between fitness, healthcare and technology, covering a wide variety of topics including the latest research on how it spreads, masks in gyms, adapting business models to the new world and more. Corneil’s goal is to take an objective approach to the business of fitness using science, math and research to look at the state of the industry and how it’s evolving. The impact of COVID-19 on the sport and fitness industry in Canada is also examined.
Video topic breakdown:
- The latest research on how the disease spreads (2:06)
- Having a regular fitness routine can impact individuals relative to COVID-19 (9:55)
- New public awareness has changed how people are getting active (13:55)
- The risks in gyms, starting with the general safety of gyms (17:23),
- The guidelines that were put together by the fitness industry in Canada (20:58)
- The risks of strength based activities versus aerobic activities (24:20)
- Length of workouts (30:34)
- Wearing masks in the gym (38:22)
- Gyms versus grocery stores (44:58)
- How gyms business models will need to adapt moving forward (33:33)
Also available on:
Apple podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast…
Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0…