This time of year brings annual rituals like spring cleaning, pruning limbs and pulling out weeds. They’re necessary chores to get ready for a new season of growth. And this year, we can apply the same idea to our gyms amid the coronavirus crisis.
So, take the time now to review your systems, procedures, programming and personnel. What can you do to make subtle improvements or to try freshening up here and there?
We’re not suggesting a deep overhaul of your business strategy. Stick with your core offering and pricing structure.
But, with your staff members’ help, you can probably find plenty of smaller but helpful improvements to make. Here are a few thoughts to get you going.
- We know some gym owners who were able to renegotiate their leases – and even get some more space that they’re now turning into a useful addition.
- Others are applying fresh paint, replacing worn-out carpets and banged-up lockers, and shining glass and fixtures. That all adds up to a spiffy-looking gym, which is important in looking clean and safe, as well.
- Review your team. Who might be able to take on new responsibility? Is there someone you’ve been meaning to release? Now is a good opportunity to make these kinds of changes.
- Class size and offerings: Do you want to focus on training in small groups only? You might not have a lot of choice, depending on reopening guidelines in each state. But coordinate with your online and hybrid offerings, and consider what will be easiest to manage should you have to temporarily close again due to COVID-19.
- Can you find better deals on supplies or services? You might want to stay with your current providers but still be able to renegotiate better terms for yourself.
- Review your programming and equipment. Will each component still be relevant after reopening? Sometimes a good idea from a few years ago no longer holds up, even without a global pandemic.
Remember we’re talking about nuance here. No major overhauls. Remember why you made the smart decisions you did, and be sure any revisions are important. You have enough on your plate without creating unnecessary work.
Also, download our free resources to provide information and context, and let us know how we can help. We’re always happy to talk.
Fitness Revolution helps fitness business owners build and scale successful businesses they love running. Through Strategic Business Coaching, powerful tools and metrics, and live training events, FR is able to help these studio owners tackle their biggest, most pressing challenge. For more information, visit https://frnation.com/.